Most people in ministry get burned out because they work with the wrong spirit. People work from a place to become successful instead of working because they are successful.
Where is the dream of your heart? You will find that the dream of most people’s heart is their “assignment or ministry.” They will work with the attitude of bringing something to past. “I must work, I must work.” In ministry some work with the intent on being successful or accomplishing a “God-given” assignment, but what does Jesus say? In Matthew 22:38 and Mark 12: 29, 30 Jesus describes how to be great and what to put first in our lives. Mark 12:30 ” And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” Remember no assignment given to us is ever ours to complete- It is the role of Jesus to complete the work. We are just partnering with Him.
Look at it this way: all things were made by and for Him, and He is the one that completes the good work in us. He is the One that completes all things.
My dream is not worship leading though I love it and it is really cool. My dream is to know God. I want to know Him intimately and deeply in the secret place. What we do for God is secondary to who we are in God. I want to be a passionately lover of God not a workhorse. Now I will work hard because the job demands it, but I in no way only want to be know by the work I do. When we take our focus off of the work and put it on Him the pressure to perform starts to fade. It becomes less about performance and more about falling in love with Him. He will make the “performance” just right if we focus on Him.
It is funny when I talk to people about my moments of preparation leading up to taking the stage I chuckle to myself. I do the administrative things like get my papers in order and make sure the band is taken care of, but I rarely think about the “performance” itself. I never think “Is He going to show up today?” I never think about the play by play anymore. I just have a confidence that if I did what He has told me to do in secret then He will do what needs to be done openly. I can take a deep breath and have fun.
Ps 127:1, 2 “Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.”
Let God do it. Relax and have fun!
When people see me on stage they think I am really intense, and I am, but I am actually having fun in those intense moments. I think they wonder if I am having fun: trust me, I am! Don’t be fooled by the facial expressions. That is just my personality and I am on a mission! But while on that mission, I have learned to enjoy what I do. It is hard at times, but it does not have to always feel hard. It looks and feels like work, but the minute I hit the stage I am all in and having fun! When we lean on the Lord and allow Him to do the hard parts we can have fun and let Him lead and guide in the moment.
Make God the dream of your heart. Make Him your passion not what He has called you to do. What He has called you to do will take care of itself as you press into Him.
Here are four ways to actively pursue making God the dream of your heart:
- Heart- emotionally engaged with God. Let God be the primary dream of your heart.
- Ask God to help you fall in love with Him and make Him first.
- Soul- this is our identity; how we view ourselves. We get our value from our relationship with God. ** This is the most difficult one for people to yield. God wants us to find our identity in Him-the fact that I love you is why your are successful. It is not based off of the rejection of others or fear. You must confess that you are successful. I am successful because God loves me and by the grace of God I love Him. Find your identity in Him. Let Him tell you who you are and who you need to be. Remember there is no one like you and there is a reason why He created you!
- Ask God to mark you with the truth of your identity.
- Mind- We need to fill our minds with that which inspires our heart to love. When we fill our heart with right things our capacity to love increases. Our mind is the doorway to the inner man. Take time to fill your mind with truth. Declare even ” I want to love you with my mind.”
- Repent of thoughts that are negative and sinful and ask God to fill your mind with His will and ways.
- Strength- this includes our natural resources like money, time, words, service and influence (leadership) i.e. the things that bring strength to our lives. Invest our strength intentionally because we love God.
- Ask God to give you ways to “give yourself away”
Mark 12:30 and Deuteronomy 6:5
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’